The Gloria F. Ross Center for Tapestry Studies announces a series of lectures at the first annual SOFA WEST (SCULPTURE OBJECTS FUNCTIONAL ART) expo held in Santa Fe, NM, on June 11-14, 2009.
Critically acclaimed, gallery-presented SOFA events focus on 3-dimensional artworks that cross the boundaries of fine art, decorative art and design. With a strong educational emphasis, SOFA fairs include a lecture series and special exhibits featuring both established and emerging artists.” SOFA WEBSITE
In addition to an elite line-up of over forty art dealers, special textile-related lectures will include:
- ALICE ZREBIEC on the work of Colombian fiber artist/sculptor Olga de Amaral (Thursday, June 11, 2:30 pm)
- ANN LANE HEDLUND on emerging trends in Native Southwest weaving (Friday, June 12, 2:30 pm)
- SUE WALKER on contemporary Australian tapestries (Saturday, June 13, 2:30 pm)
- LOTUS STACK will give a special textile curator’s walkthrough (Friday, June 12, 1:00 pm)
- Other lectures and events will also be announced.
Events take place at the Santa Fe Convention Center, with proceeds from the Opening Night Gala benefiting the New Mexico Museum of Art’s Design Collection. Current GFR Tapestry Center members will receive tickets to the 4-day expo (a $25 value); members at the $100+ levels will also receive VIP invitations to the Opening Night GALA Preview & Reception on June 10 and SOFA VIP events during the fair. La Fonda hotel is holding a block of sleeping rooms (800-523-5002, mention the Tapestry Center to receive special event rates). For more information, visit www.sofaexpo.com and www.tapestrycenter.org or call the Tapestry Center at 520-626-8364.